06 December 2006

Trimming The Fat

I must admit that I am impressed with two occurrences this past day. It is rare that I am impressed with anything anymore, so enjoy. The first of which is Robert Gates. Gates is “W’s” nominee for the vacant post of defense secretary. He maybe a Bush man, but his answer to this question during the Senate Armed Services Committee confirmation hearing stunned me, “Do you believe we are winning the war in Iraq?” Gates replied “no!” I had to check my ears to ensure that I heard that answer correctly, but he actually said “no.” I am unsure about how much influence he will have on “W” (probably none as “W” tends not to listen to those who knows what they are talking about), but I am sure he will be a moderate source of information in the Bush camp. Gates even stated that he wants to actually go to Iraq and talk with ground commanders about the situation. He may actually listen to the people who know the most about war, generals. Unlike “Rummy,” who had the tendency to listen to the wall instead of war experts, Gates may indeed resolve the tactical issues in Iraq.

The other news that caught my eye was that New York has banned artificial trans-fat in every restaurant in the city. This was the city that banned smoking in public places as well, which says to me that the officials actually give a rat’s ass about their citizens. Artificial trans-fat is basically the shit that makes us all fat and can be found in everything from pie crust to chocolate (basically the shit we eat every day of our lives). The downside to this is that people are going to bitch and moan about not being able to stuff their obese faces with fat loaded burgers and hot dogs at the local bar and grill. Point in fact; people are too indolent to care for themselves, so now it falls on a city government. I am sure that other major cities in the US will follow suit (hopefully Houston, the fattest city in America), but it all depends on how liberal their local city councils are. Welcome to the new healthy and over populated America people!

No comments: