24 June 2007

A Review: Death of a President

While carousing the latest line-up of PPV movies early this morning, I came across a controversial cinematic production released in 2006 entitled, “Death of a President.” The best picture at the 2006 Toronto Film Festival is a story addressing the hypothetical assassination of George W. Bush. Originally released only in Canada, the film is a powerful depiction of the times we live in, especially the prejudice that Muslim Americans have experienced since 9/11.

Without spoiling the film for those who wish to view the flick, I will say that it was well done, even though there were a few amusing moments of botched proletarian editing. I am not condoning assassinating a political leader in any way, especially the president of the United States. I live by the creed that one does not have to respect the man in the office. But we should all respect the office of the president of the United States.

Obviously, I am not a fan of George W. Bush’s anomalous foreign and domestic policies, but I do respect the fact that he is president of the United States. It was again the will of the people in 2004 (not mine) that he remain in office for a second term (even though many of those people are regretting their vote); the very core aspect that this republic was constructed upon. The film is a marvelous representation of the frustration that a majority of Americans are experiencing with Bush at the helm of the executive branch.

Ironically, the “assassination” takes place in Chicago, Illinois (my home state), a revered democratic stronghold. I believe that the writers of the film chose Chicago due to that very fact. Through interviews with presidential staff, witnesses, and secret service agents we find out what happened on “September 19, 2007.” I did disagree with the depiction that the secret service, the best armed body guards in the history of mankind (maybe except for the Swiss Guard who is charged with the protection of the pope) was inadequate in the protection of the president.

As I stated earlier, I will not spoil the film. But I would recommend that anyone who feels the way I do about the current direction of the country, should check this flick out.

No comments: