09 July 2008

The Challenges of the Job Market

In my search for gameful employment in the mart of competitive commerce, I have come to a few realizations. That is, I have had an epiphany of sorts. That epiphany is the fact that many employers in both the public and private sector are hypocritical to an extent. No matter the employer, they claim to want “new and young blood” within their respective organizations. Yet, every job description that I have read through requires experience, even for many entry-level positions. Can you see the conundrum here?

I am aware of the fact that education can make up lack any lack of experience, but only to a certain degree. The trouble is that with the more education one has, the more an individual becomes over qualified for entry- level positions. Instead, these individuals tend to look for positions that are a bit higher up in the chain of command within an organization. However, these positions tend to require a fair amount of experience, which to many individuals who have gone on to obtain an advanced degree, is rather lacking.

My personal theory on remedying this situation is to go for broke and apply for positions that are within my educational range, regardless of the experience requirement. I did not go into an “astronomical” amount of debt to start at a job that pays pennies instead of quarters. When going for such a position, it is absolutely vital that one’s resume and cover letter are in top-notch form, as it is necessary to show a potential employer that one is serious about a job. If that can be communicated, you indeed have a chance at getting a call. But as I have noticed, those calls tend to be sparse, which is another reason to be on top of your “game” when a call eventually comes through.

No comments: